Saturday, April 29, 2017

Something in Bali

          “Lord, my husband is asking me if I want to go scuba diving during our vacation to Bali, Indonesia.”  Before replying to my husband’s email, I took a moment to pray.  I’ve never gone scuba diving before.  In my heart, I posed the question, “Is this what You want, Lord?”  As if Jesus placed His Hand on my heart, He reassured me with His Peace.  He lovingly spoke to my heart saying, “I have something I want to show you.”

            Having only two months to get certified as a scuba diver before leaving on our trip, I researched dive shops.  I finally settled on a nearby shop, took the online class, passed the knowledge test, dove in the deep end of a heated indoor pool, and dove five times in a local river.  After throwing up my breakfast banana in the river, due to motion sickness, I was certified!  I announced to my dive instructor that anything I could do with my husband was a good thing, especially for our marriage.

            It took us maybe 24 hours to fly to beautiful Bali, with stops in Moscow and Singapore.  I did not anticipate my ankles swelling from sitting upright in a seat for so long.  Many times throughout our trip, my romantic husband allowed me to rest my legs on his lap, especially during our bus tours across the palm-tree studded Bali island.  We were celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

            I kept my eyes open to see what Jesus wanted to show me, especially during our two days of scuba diving at the Tulamben Bay 120m USAT Liberty Shipwreck and at the Blue Lagoon & Jepun.  We were thrilled to see a color-changing reef octopus eating a crab, two majestic emerald and chocolate brown 2 ½’ sea turtles, two haunting moray eels, and a straw-colored stingray kicking up sand on the ever-changing sea bottom.

            I also saw silver tube-like cornet fish the size of flutes; black and white remoras (shark suckers); many spotted juvenile sweetlips; huge vase-shaped beige sponges; a spotted garden eel; a yellow boxfish; a map pufferfish; a black pufferfish with a dog-shaped head; spiny devilfish; a flasher scorpionfish; a leaf scorpionfish that blended perfectly with the coral; two 5” thornback cowfishes that kept checking on each other; broadclub cuttlefish; a foot long squid that I could see partly through, with its dangly tentacles hanging down; a freckled goatfish with its trailing beard; several 12” cornhusk blue starfish; striped nudibranches (sea slugs); a peacock mantis, a peacock razorfish; longfin bannerfish; black ribbon eels that looked like swaying weeds in the sand until you swam close, and they popped back into their holes; a winged helmet gurnard; a black and white snowflake moray eel, slithering on top of the coral; and a 3” anemone crab crawling around its constantly moving home.

            At one point, my dive master put the palms of his hands together, facing up.  We were about 15 meters below the surface of the water.  At first I didn’t understand.  This wasn’t like any of the other hand signals that I carefully observed him doing.  Finally, I swam closer to see his hands better.  There, about two inches above his palms was a rare and tiny sea creature called an ornate ghost pipefish, about one centimeter in height.  It looked like a miniature sea horse, almost transparent, with just a few dots of pink on its minute body.  Wow, I thought.  This must be what Jesus wanted to show me – how His beautiful, creative life could dwell in something so small.

            My God is so deep!  This was only the tip of the iceberg.  There was something else He wanted to show me, about who I am, and who He is calling me to be.

            I will never forget her face, her straggly hair, her soft eyes, her crooked teeth, her sorrowful expression, forever burned into my soul.  My husband and I were standing at the entrance to the outdoor/indoor Badung Traditional Market in Denpasar City, where we had just finished our hour-long shopping spree for the required sarongs (rectangular cloths wrapped around the waists of both men and women) and sashes (scarves worn like belts on top of the sarongs) that were necessary to don before entering the Balinese temples.  Waiting for our tour bus to arrive, we happily passed the time by taking pictures.

            A brave petite Balinese girl approached me with her little palms up.  She must have been five years old.  I knew she was begging me for money.  She was joined by her shy younger sister.  I had about $80 worth in Rupiah tucked safely with my passport in my pouch hanging from my neck under my shirt.  My first thought was I wish I had money in my pocket to give to her.  It would be so much easier to get it out.  Instead of taking out my money, I took off my fragrant ivory and mustard-colored plumeria lei, which I received upon arrival at the Denpasar-Bali (DPS) Airport, alongside 90+ other homemade leis that were graciously given to our group of tourists to welcome us to Bali.  I tried handing it to her, but she wouldn’t take it.  She frowned.  I put my necklace back on.

            Then her mother stepped in front of me, with those imploring eyes that I will never forget.  She touched my left arm ever so softly and said, “Good for me, good for you.”  Immediately I understood that my money was good for her, and giving it to her would be good for my salvation.  I wondered how many people would beg me for money during our trip.  What would my husband think if I gave her money – that I was doing the right thing, or that I was irresponsible?

            She stroked my arm gently again, “Good for me, good for you.”  She nodded her head, looking for agreement.

            I felt trapped.  I felt tested.  I thought about Jesus at the Judgment of the Nations (Matthew 25:31-46), and my mind was aflame with the question, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?” (vs. 37)  The answer seared my soul, “Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.” (vs. 40)  I knew these Holy Words of God.  Just a month before our trip in my Lectio Divina Prayer Group, I had studied, meditated, and contemplated the Lord in prayer with these exact words.

            Then why did I look away from her penetrating eyes?  Why did I search for my husband in the crowd to be with him and not her?  She followed me.

            Standing beside me, she caressed my arm again.  “Good for me, good for you.”  Why did she keep telling me this over and over?  I asked her for her name.  She said, “Mary.”  My face lit up.  I said, “I love that name!”  I gave her my name.  We talked a little.  She said she had three children.  I told her I had five.  But still, I was unwilling to give her any money.  I thought for sure that if I gave her money, it would put a huge breach between my husband and I.  I knew how he felt about situations like this.  To be fair, he would much rather donate to known, researched, charitable organizations.  I wanted to prove that I could be responsible with the money he gave to me, and that he could trust me.

            But at the same time, I felt like my heart was ripping out of my chest, yearning to do what was good for Mary, and good for me.  Internally, broken and bleeding, I said, “I will pray for you.”

            To my great relief, the tour bus finally arrived, and I hurried across the street with my husband in the crowd, avoiding mopeds and diminutive cars.  From the other side of the street I couldn’t see Mary anymore.  She was gone.

            That night in our luxurious hotel room, after sleeping a few hours, I woke up with an urgent desire to pray my rosary.  I only prayed a few beads when my face flooded with tears.  How could I have been so cold-hearted?  Like Peter, I had denied our Lord three times.  “…and the Lord turned and looked at Peter; and Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said to him, ‘Before the cock crows today, you will deny me three times.’  He went out and began to weep bitterly.” (Luke 22:61-62)  I could not stop thinking about Mary and her children and my lack of generosity.  Lord, have mercy, Christ, have mercy, Lord, have mercy on me, a poor sinner!

            I remembered telling Mary that I would pray for her, which I sincerely meant with all my heart.  It took me a long time to pray that rosary.  I had to get up from kneeling three or four times, thinking that I had finished crying, to blow my nose and wipe away my tears.

            In prayer, I placed Mary and her children and my husband and I inside Mary, our Mother of God’s, Immaculate Heart.  I prayed fervently for our repentance, conversion, and salvation.  I begged Mary, my spiritual Mother, to forgive me.  I felt like I had refused to give my alms personally to her when I didn’t give myself totally and completely to her child, this Balinese woman named Mary.  The fact that she and her children were the only ones who begged me for money during our entire trip had a profound impact on me.

            “See, upon the palms of my hands, I have written your name; your walls are ever before me.” (Isaiah 49:16)  When I read this a few days later, I pictured God writing Mary’s name, and her children’s names, and my husband’s name, and my name on the palms of His Hands.  I knew that God loved each of us dearly, but I was still in a fierce struggle to forgive myself.

            “You open wide your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing.” (Psalm 145:16)  How beautifully generous God is!  Why can’t I be generous like that?

            The next day I was praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and feeling like the greatest sinner.  I was thinking about Jesus dying on the cross for me, a sinner!  How could I ever atone for my own sins?  Then I heard my sweet Jesus speak to my heart, “I will do it.  I will offer Myself in atonement for your sins.”  At that moment I knew I could not rely upon myself at all for my salvation.  Only Jesus can save me.  I can only rely upon Jesus.  He is my entire hope.  I am completely at His Mercy.

            I stopped looking to myself, wallowing in self pity.  I turned my heart to Jesus.  Only He can forgive me, and heal me, and restore my soul.  “My hope is in You, Lord!  Yes, please offer Yourself in atonement for my sins.  Thank you, Jesus, with all my heart and soul!  I am so dead without You.”

            After our 28 hour trip back from Bali, it took several days for me to get used to our local time.  My days and nights were mixed up for sure!  I would rise in the middle of the night, wide awake.  I spent a multitude of intense, sorrowful hours in prayer, still trying to understand myself, and everything Jesus showed me in Bali.

            In prayer, Jesus picked me up like a little girl, and sat me on His Lap.  I was dirty with sin and dressed in rags.  My soul looked worse than the little girls who begged me for money.  Jesus showed me a vision of Himself, hanging on His Cross.  I could see His beating Heart.  Jesus spoke to my heart saying, “My Heart beats for love of you.  I hide you in My Wounds.”

            Then Jesus handed me to Mary, His Mother.  She gently sat me on the ground.  Without saying anything I knew she was asking me if I was ready to see what she wanted to show me.  Then she spoke to my heart.  “I’m going to show you this only because I love you.”  In a vision I saw Mary standing beside the woman and her two daughters that begged me for money in Bali.  Mary said with a hint of joy, “I dwell in them.  I dwell in the poor.”  She said it with such a peace and a love and a joy in her heart as if it were her most favorite thing to do.  All I could think of was, our beautiful, blessed, glorious, Holy Mother, dwelling in something so small, dwelling in the poor.  Now I could see why it is so important to serve the poor.  It’s Mary’s business.  It is what she desires.  To serve the poor means to serve Jesus, who dwells inside Mary, His Mother.

            The next middle of the night in prayer, I saw with the eyes of my heart, a vacated, charcoal-black vessel in the shape of a heart, and broken into many lonely pieces.  I was devastated when I realized that it was my own heart.  I saw my shattered heart lowered down onto a sandy beach.  I could see myself as a little girl sitting in the sand beside my lifeless heart.  I felt spiritually dead, dead in my sins.  Then I saw Jesus as a Eucharistic Host encased in a ring of silver metal lowered down inside my disjointed heart in the sand.  There was no place to hold Him enthroned in my heart, so the Host rested, slanted in the sand, leaning side-ways on a fragment of my heart.

            Then I noticed Mary, my sweet Holy Mother, facing me and slightly to my left.  She spoke so lovingly to me, “I will give you my heart.”  Oh, what a precious gift!  I felt that I had done nothing at all to deserve her heart.  With tears in my eyes, I gratefully and thankfully accepted her heart as my own.  Then Mary walked over to my disintegrating heart in the sand, and picked up her Son in the Eucharistic Host.  She carefully carried Him to me, and placed Him gently enthroned inside her heart, now my new heart, inside of me!  Praise God!  “…this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.” (Luke 15:24)  Jesus was saying to me, “…this daughter of Mine was dead, and has come to life again; she was lost, and has been found.”  Praise God!  Halleluia!

            At one point, I had to make a decision.  Do I detach and abandon myself to Jesus and Mary, and seek only their desires to serve the poor, so united with Mary’s Immaculate Heart dwelling in me, someone so small, with Mary so wrapped up in Jesus’ Eucharistic Holy Presence, or do I continue putting my husband first before God?  There was nothing to go back to, except my destroyed, dead heart.  With my whole being I chose to surrender myself to Jesus and Mary and to seek their desires.  I chose to die to myself and find my life in Christ Jesus, supported by His Most Holy Mother.

            I finally went to confession.  Praise God that I didn’t die in my sins!  My beloved pastor told me that I needed to be strong in my faith, and rely upon God’s grace, and do God’s Will above all.  I need to follow the Holy Spirit in my life.

            I shared my story with some of my closest friends.  They confirmed that I need to put God first in my life.  I know deep in my heart that if I don’t put God first, I am as good as dead.  Putting God first will help me to love my husband in the right way all the more.  I can give my husband my whole heart totally and completely as his wife, and at the same time, be in a right relationship with him, side by side.  This way we can correct and serve each other instead of one dominating over the other.

            In the midst of all my soul-searching, the Lord showed me His Tender, Divine Mercy.  One of my friends pointed out that I really did have the desire to serve the poor, and at the same time, I was careful to avoid breaking the trust that my husband had in me during our Anniversary Trip.  “Simon Peter said to him, ‘Master, where are you going?’  Jesus answered [him], ‘Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, though you will follow later.’” (John 13:36)  Like Peter, I still needed a deeper conversion to truly follow Jesus and serve Him in the poor with all my heart.  Now that I want to make amends and follow the Lord’s call to serve the poor, I have a very good explanation for my future actions.  I can tell the story of my deeper conversion that the Lord graciously and mercifully willed in my heart.

            When folding laundry and praying the Luminous Mysteries, the Lord struck me with an insight during the fifth decade – the Institution of the Holy Eucharist.  Jesus showed me why it hurts Him so much when I don’t give alms to the poor.  Jesus gives Himself totally and completely to me, and to each of us, on the Cross and in the Holy Eucharist.  To show my love for Jesus, to return His Love, I need to give myself totally and completely back to God in the poor, because Jesus dwells in them.  I hurt Jesus when I didn’t give the Balinese woman money, because when I denied her, I was denying Him.  I need to loosen my hands.  “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35)

            In prayer early in the morning, before going to Mass, I saw myself as a little girl.  Mary, the Mother of God, my tender Mother, took me and placed me on her lap.  She invited me to enter inside her Immaculate Heart.  I saw with the eyes of my heart an open doorway lined with pink roses.  Not feeling worthy at all, I asked her for the grace to enter inside her heart.  Once inside, I felt the joy of the Holy Spirit, her spouse.  Then I saw her Son, Jesus, as a Eucharistic Host in the center of her heart.  I worshipped, and adored, and praised, and thanked, and loved my Lord, my God, and my King!

            During Mass, Jesus gave Himself to me totally and completely in the Eucharist.  Settled inside His Mother Mary’s Heart, inside my heart, Jesus said, “Now you can give Me away to the poor.”

            I’ve been learning so much from reading Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska’s Diary.  The following three quotes particularly touched my heart:

“That God is infinitely merciful, no one can deny.  He desires everyone to know this before He comes as Judge.  He wants souls to come to know Him first as King of Mercy…But God has promised a great grace especially to you [Father Sopocko] and to all those…who will proclaim My great mercy.  I shall protect them Myself at the hour of death, as My own glory.  And even if the sins of souls were as dark as night, when the sinner turns to My mercy, he gives Me the greatest praise and is the glory of My Passion.  When a soul extols My goodness, Satan trembles before it and flees to the very bottom of hell.” (Diary, #378)

“Souls who spread the honor of My mercy I shield through their entire lives as a tender mother her infant, and at the hour of death I will not be a Judge for them, but the Merciful Savior.  At that last hour, a soul has nothing with which to defend itself except My mercy.  Happy is the soul that during its lifetime immersed itself in the Fountain of Mercy, because justice will have no hold on it.”  (Diary, #1075)

“My daughter, tell souls that I am giving them My mercy as a defense.  I Myself am fighting for them and am bearing the just anger of My Father.” (Diary, #1516)

A week later, the Tuesday after Easter, I was praying the rosary in the Eucharistic Adoration Chapel with a handful of parishioners after daily Mass.  Thinking about my unworthiness, and feeling the anguish of my guilt and shame, I was aware of a deep wound in my soul.  I saw with the eyes of my heart that I was a little girl with a broken heart.  I saw Mary, the Mother of God, my Blessed Mother, sitting to the left of Jesus in the Eucharistic Host displayed in the golden monstrance.  Mary gently picked me up and placed me on her lap for awhile.  Then she lifted me up to give me to her Son, Jesus.  I saw Jesus hanging on the Cross, with all of His Open Wounds on His Body.  I wrapped my little arms around Jesus’ Body, hugging Him.  Jesus’ Precious Blood flowed out of His Wounds and into the wound in my soul.  At that moment, Jesus healed me!  Jesus healed my soul!  Praise God!  Halleluia!  “He himself bore our sins in his body upon the cross, so that, free from sin, we might live for righteousness.  By his wounds you have been healed.” (1 Peter 2:24)

“My Sweet Jesus, I love You!  I thank you with all my heart and soul for Your Compassionate Mercy upon me, a poor sinner.  I was dead in my sins, but because You love me, You offered Yourself in atonement for my sins, and You poured your Precious Blood into the wound in my soul, healing me!  You graciously blessed me with Your Holy Mother Mary, who gave me her heart, beating with the joy and life of her spouse, the Holy Spirit.  Jesus, you lovingly willed to dwell inside Your Mother’s Pure and Humble Heart, inside of little me, just as You rested incarnate inside Her Holy Womb.  Blessed be the Name of our Lord Jesus forever, who dwells inside the new Ark of the Covenant, Mary, the Mother of God!

Thank you, Precious Mary, my Blessed, Holy Mother, for giving me your heart.  I don’t deserve your generous kindness.  Thank you for loving me anyway, and blessing me with the grace of a deeper conversion.  I could not stay the same as I was.   I had to change.  I humbly and lovingly ask for the grace to be attentive to who God is calling me to be now.  Virgin Mary, please help me to follow your Son, Jesus, as He leads me to love Him deeper, to serve Him in the poor, and like Peter, to feed His Lambs.  In Jesus’ Holy and Precious Name I pray, Amen!”


“When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?  He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.’  He said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.’” (John 21:15)

No comments: